Three reasons why a user may need to Unapply or reapply a cash receipt.
- The Customer has payment, credit memo, or return that was applied to the incorrect invoice.
- The Customer has payment, credit memo, or return that was applied to the correct invoice, but the amount was applied incorrectly.
- The Customer has an outstanding payment, credit memo, or return that can now be applied to the correct invoice.
So how do I do this?
Steps to UnApply – ReApply a Cash Receipt
On the Navigation Pane on the Left Side of Screen – Go To Sales >> Transactions >> Apply Sales Documents. This will open the Apply Sales Documents Window.
Select the Customer with the Payment / Credit Memo / Return that needs to be unapplied and applied correctly.
Select the Type – Payments / Returns / Credit Memo – This will be the document that needs to be unapplied / reapplied or the document that needs to be applied to an invoice.
In the Document No. Field – click on the magnifying glass for a drop-down list of Receipts.
This will Open the Open Cash Documents Page – this window will display a list of the Returns / Payments / Credit Memos.
Highlight the desired document and click Select.
This will return you to the Apply Sales Documents Window with the Selected Payment / Return / Credit Memo populating the window.
There are several thing to notice on this window:
- A check mark in the “Apply to” box indicated the invoice that the payment, credit memo, or return has been applied to. The “Amount remaining” box for that invoice is zero and the “Apply Amount” is the amount that was applied to the invoice.
- The unapplied amount field is $0.00
- The apply date is set to the current date.
- The apply posting date is set to the current date.
To UnApply – uncheck the Apply To box next to the Document No.
Notice two things:
- The invoice now shows an “Apply Amount” of zero and the “Amount Remaining” field is now the amount of the invoice.
- The unapplied amount field now shows the amount of the payment that was previously applied.
To Apply the Payment / Credit Memo / Return
Check the Apply To Box next to the appropriate Invoice or Invoices. Notice several things:
- As you check the Apply To box for an invoice the Apply Amount on that invoice changes to the amount of the payment applied to that invoice.
- The Amount Remaining field will show Zero (or will show the amount remaining to be paid if the invoice was only partially paid).
- The Unapplied Amount field is reduced by the amount applied to the invoice.
- The Apply Date needs to be changed to the actual date of the Cash Receipt. The Apply Posting Date will auto-populate with the date entered in the Apply Date field. This may be changed if the posting date is different from the Apply Date.
Once the payment, credit memo, or return has been correctly applied – click OK. This will save all the changes that were made. Once the window is closed the posting report will print.
Tricia Chase | Senior Business Software Consultant
As a Senior Business Consultant, Tricia has performed various roles for customers including conducting design sessions, integrating data, training GP and 3rd Party modules, troubleshooting data issues, and acting as interim controller. Tricia has over 20 years of experience as an accountant and over 15 years of experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP usually working with the Accounting / Finance Teams or the HR / Payroll Teams. Prior to KTL, Tricia worked for various partners and as an Independent Consultant. She has worked with various industries including: Construction, Trucking, Health Care, and State Government. Tricia holds a B.S. in Accounting from St. Mary of the Plains College in Dodge City, Kansas.