In Microsoft Dynamics GP, we have several features that will allow us to customize our Dashboard allowing us to view essential information we may need to perform our function within our organization. The three main areas that are customizable for each user are User Preferences, the Desktop and Tabs, and the Navigation Bar.
User Preferences allows the user to select how their Dynamics GP session will handle various items. To access the user preferences select Microsoft Dynamics GP – User Preferences:
- Horizontal Scroll Arrows – Allows scrolling through fields that are too long for the field. This option is off by default.
- Default Report Destination – Printer or Screen
- Entry Key – Determines how to advance additional fields (Tab or Return). This is Tab by default.
- Window Command Display – Determines how toolbars are displayed.
- Action Pane – Large buttons
- Action Pane Strip – Small buttons
- Menu Bar – No buttons
- Distribution Processes – How processing is done on the system (Local or Remote)
- Mapping – How addresses are linked with MapPoint
- Reminders – Allows the user to set Reminders for Particular items if they reach a certain criteria
- Display – Determines the Color scheme of Dynamics GP and how required fields are displayed
- AutoComplete – Allows the system to auto-complete typed items if it is on
- Workflow Delegation – Allows the user to delegate or reassign tasks to approvers
- Password – Allows the user the change their password
- Select OK
Desktop and Tabs
The first item we may customize is the Home Page Tab. This is the default view when you log into Dynamics GP. To customize the Home Page Tab:
- Select the Home option in the lower left corner of the screen
- Select the Customize this page… in the upper right corner of the screen
- Select the Items you would like to display on the screen
- To Do – List items you have scheduled in your To Do list and may add, update, and remove tasks.
- Quick Links – Quick Links to applicable GP functions frequently used and may add, update, and remove links.
- Connect – Links to the Internet for helpful GP information through Customer Source
- My Reports – List of applicable reports frequently used and may add, update, and remove reports.
- Business Analyzer – Shows metric reports and charts on the Home Page and may add, update, and remove items.
- Select the Number of columns you would like to appear in the Column Layouts
- Select how you want to arrange/stack the columns – Top, Bottom, Right, Left
- Select OK
The other Tabs Financial, Sales, Purchasing, Administration, Inventory, etc., allow us to view/not view functional area of each module, such as Transactions, Inquiry, Setup, Routines, Reports, and Utilities. This is accomplished by selecting the module’s Tab, then selecting the Customize this page… in the upper right corner.
The third main item we are able to customize is the Navigation Bar. Each selected module in the lower left corner of Dynamics GP will have its own Navigation Bar. The Home Navigation bar is customizable and you may add or remove items to the list. The type of items you may add to the Navigation bar are:
- Add Window – To add a Dynamics GP window
- Add SmartList – To add a Smartlist
- Add Macro – To add a Macro that may be run to the list
- Add Web Page – To add a link to a particular webpage
- Add External Shortcut – To add a link to another software package such as Excel or Word
- Add Folder – Allows us to build folders within the Navigation bar
The Financial, Sales, Purchasing, Administration, Inventory, etc. all have their own set Navigation bar.
ANDREW FRASER | Senior Business Software Consultant
As a Senior Business Consultant, Andrew is responsible for the implementation and support of CRM, GP, and other Microsoft products, ensuring that our solution scoping, architecting, and delivery meet and exceed customer expectations. He helps clients analyze their current business processes and provide them with process improvements. During his time at KTL, Andrew has built lasting relationships with clients by understanding their business needs and provided value by leveraging their existing resources. Andrew has more than 21 years of experience in implementing business software for a variety of industries, including service, government, distribution, not-for-profit and manufacturing. He graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Math with concentration in Computer Science and a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Marketing from St. Andrew’s University in Laurinburg, North Carolina. His experience includes helping companies embrace technology to fulfill their organizational needs and creating innovative solutions using CRM, GP and other Microsoft products.