In my last blog from February 2015, we discussed the variety of factors that can lead to your Checkbook balance and General Ledger Balance being different and what the corresponding results will be to both balances. In this blog, I would like to address the resolution for each of these issues.
In this blog, I wanted to address the variety of factors that may lead to your Checkbook balance and General Ledger Balance differing. Some vital information that should be collected to evaluate why the balances are different are:
- What is the difference between the General Ledger Cash Account and the Checkbook balance?
- When did the balances between the General Ledger and the Checkbook last match?
- Are there any un-posted General Ledger batches?
- Are there any Cash Receipts not deposited?
- What are the results from the Reconcile to GL function in GP: Microsoft Dynamics GP – Tools – Routines – Financial – Reconcile to GL
Three reasons why a user may need to Unapply or reapply a cash receipt.
- The Customer has payment, credit memo, or return that was applied to the incorrect invoice.
- The Customer has payment, credit memo, or return that was applied to the correct invoice, but the amount was applied incorrectly.
- The Customer has an outstanding payment, credit memo, or return that can now be applied to the correct invoice.
So how do I do this?